Porto: Valentine's Day at McDonald's

More restaurants need to stay open on Sundays in Europe. There, I said it. It's one of the biggest frustrations that Americans seem to encounter when traveling in Europe, and it's the only reason I'm thankful that there is a McDonald's everywhere. There, I admitted that too.

We left Lisbon on a late Sunday afternoon, which also happened to be Valentine's Day. We boarded a bus that was similar to Bolt Bus in both price and comfort, sans the free Wi-Fi. You can't have it all. But Rede-Expressos is more like the equivalent of Greyhound, being a nationwide bus company...although that nation is a tad smaller. By the time we arrived in Porto, it was already nightfall and dinnertime. This time we had a map and found the hostel much easier this time, with the exception of taking a few dark back alleys that I would never enter again - especially not by myself.

Our second hostel was the Porto Poets Hostel, another hipster, boutique hostel. If it weren't for the fact that we had arrived from the greatest hostel in the history of hostels, the Porto Poets would have been just lovely. This time, the room was much more cramped, there were more little fees here and there (i.e. towels) and there wasn't a key for my locker, but Rachel was nice enough to let me share with her. Luckily, we both only had the teeny-tiny bags that we could carry on to Ryanair anyway.

And naturally by this point, we were very hungry. When we asked the front desk employee where we could find dinner. He looked at us blankly, saying that it's Sunday so there wasn't really anything open. But noticing the developing faces of frustration on the three of us, he said we had two options: a small restaurant nearby (that he sort of pointed to and couldn't give us a name) or McDonald's.

After dropping our bags off in the room, we ventured out into the very windy night to find an ATM and this small restaurant. We think we found it, but it didn't look all that appealing at all. And that's how we ended up at McDonald's on Valentine's Day. But it was definitely the nicest McDonald's I've ever seen, with modern decor and the ambiance of an actual restaurant. Not to mention the value meal prices were much cheaper in Portugal than in France, where a value meal starts around 6€ ($8-9). The McD's was also packed, mostly with what appeared to be locals considering it was the only thing open on Sundays.

Although that turned out to be untrue, as we found a lively café open right around the corner where we ordered a couple glasses of Port and called it an evening.

Given that there was still blustery weather outside when we woke up, it was time for more indoor activities, starting with the Lello bookstore (pictured, right). Filled with tourists speaking every sort of language and richly designed interior, it felt like a real-life Flourish and Blotts. (If you're not a Harry Potter fan, look it up.) And we would never have happened upon it if it weren't for the recommendation of our new German friend and roommate, Johan. Lello features a neo-Gothic facade and sells books in multiple languages, making it the most beautiful and cosmopolitan bookstore I've ever seen.

As noted before, Portugal is very affordable for the traveler on a budget. And apparently that doesn't stop at taxi fares either, as Johan advised us. There was a special photography exhibit at a modern art museum just outside of town, and since it was rainy and windy and a bit of a journey, we hopped into a cab. And it only cost us 7€ total, each way. I could really get used to Portugal.

After the exhibit, some lunch (where I had something very similar to Poutine, which was delightful), and a trip to the riverfront (which was incredibly windy, not helping my bout of vertigo), it was time to look for Carnaval costumes. The hostel was hosting a Carnaval/Mardi Gras party, complete with a buffet of several courses, wine, caipirinhas and a costume contest. We stumbled into what must have been the only costume store for miles as it was lined from wall to wall with teenagers trying on sequined masks and tossing around tiaras and trinkets on the shelves.

Within 20 minutes, we had our costumes. Rachel was going to a bird with a very fine winged mask and blue feathered boa, Amy was going as a flapper with a silver and pink-feathered headband, and I chose to go as a princess with a tiara and Marie Antoinette-style mask, naturally.

There was one mishap that we ran into when we got back to the hostel. That morning, I had turned in my laundry with the girl at the front desk, and she said it would be on my bed by the time we returned that evening. That was at 11 AM. We got back after 6 PM. She hadn't even started it yet. She mumbled something about being busy most of the afternoon, and she would start it then and it would be ready within two hours. But really, how long does it take to throw a small bag of clothes into a laundry machine? A few minutes. But as the laundry room was right outside of our bedroom, I noticed that she didn't even put it into the laundry machine until an hour after I spoke to her. So when it rolled around to the middle of the party, I asked her about it, and she made a face realizing she forgot about it and still had to put it into the dryer. Given that I really wanted to pack before I went to bed, I was getting antsy and annoyed. But I said ok, and figured it would be ready by the end of the party.

The Carnaval party was a lot of fun, although not that many people dressed up. We met a bunch of other young people vacationing in Portugal...all of whom lived in France! Vacances d'Hiver really spreads us all out around Europe, I suppose. And because our costumes were just so lovely, we won a free bottle of Port wine! We considered bringing it home, but instead we just opened it then and drank it with other guests at the hostel, quite a number of whom were tuned to the TV, watching the long-track speed skating at the Olympics. Naturally, I joined them.

Some time after midnight, I went back to the room, hoping to see my laundry. It was not there. I went back down to the front desk, but the girl who was responsible for finishing my laundry had already gone home, and now there was a new girl on the night shift, stuck with fixing what the first girl didn't do. Apparently all of my clothes were still wet. I was pretty angry on the inside, but I realized yelling wouldn't do anything about it, especially considering it wasn't this new girl's fault. I told her I didn't know what to do since I had to pack and we had to leave at 7 AM to catch our flight back to Lille. First, she gave me a refund (which I didn't ask for, but I think I was due for one and definitely appeased me), and then she even offered to pack for me. Although I appreciated the offer, I turned it down as I really like to pack my things myself and know where everything is.

Thus, I had to get up much earlier than I planned or wanted to in order to collect my clothes and then figure out how to stuff them back into my Mary Poppins-esque bag all over again.

Our taxi ride to the airport was swift and cheap, plus the driver had picked a great station on radio. Noticing that we liked the songs and started singing along (we were way too chipper for that early in the morning), he turned the volume up and we all cheered. Porto's airport was much more elegant and modern than we expected, and we were even there too early. (Again, I was picturing something from the movie Airplane!) And since our costumes were recently purchased and a bit delicate, we couldn't really pack them. It was Carnaval anyway, so we just wore them at the airport, attracting a lot of looks and even a chuckle from the security agents at Rachel's gold-sequined beak mask.

It was time to board our last Ryanair flight of the journey, and we even got first-class! (The front row.) Two short hours later, even spotting Paris outside the window on the journey north...shortly followed by a giant blanket of snow covering the North, we were back in Lille.